Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I Must Rant -

because I am not going to dignify this person with a response. So I'll tell you about it!
Here is the chain of e-mails:

Subject: Horse for ½ lease $165/mo
From: MarthaFaith at mailprovider

He Looks interesting, what is this cross??

How are his basics?


Subject: Re: Horse for ½ lease $165/mo
From: EquineInquiry at gmail.com

Horse is a Belgian Draft/Thoroughbred cross. When I began riding him he was a school-horse, so his basics are solid. He is very responsive to rein aids and voice commands, but is still a little slow to respond to leg aides. I am working on this with him in conjunction with suppling exercises.
He ties and stands quietly for grooming. He does not easily spook and stands still for mounting. He is a calm and trustworthy mount!
Is there anything else you would like to know? If you don't mind, I would like to know where you saw my ad posted? If you have any more questions, would like to see more photos, or would like to discuss a possible test-ride, feel free to contact me via phone or e-mail.

Thank you,


Rider

Subject: Re:Horse for ½ lease $165/mo
From: MarthaFaith at mailprovider

hello rider,

it is very interesting to me when a horse responds to the greatest sensitivity to his face...A rider's first question really should address the horse hindquarters and go forward..

I am very empathic towards the type of horses that are bred this way. it is always curious to hear how do they RSVP to the rider.... they are after all the subject in the focus of the event....

I do not want to lease him, only to know that he is there and cared for to ride forward...
MarthaFaith


I have a couple of problems with these e-mails:
1) What exactly about my horse's breeding requires empathy?
2) Perhaps she should have done some proof-reading before sending this.
3) I know that I may be the exception when it comes to my concern for punctuation and capitalization, (an English degree will do that to you) but - My God, her capitalization and punctuation!
4) The definition of RSVP is :

RSVP RSVPed or RSVP'd, RSVPing or RSVP'ing, noun, plural RSVP's.
–verb (used without object)
1.to reply to an invitation: Don't forget to RSVP before Thursday. –noun
2.a reply to an invitation: He sent a lovely bouquet of flowers with his RSVP.
3.(used on an invitation to indicate that the favor of a reply is requested).
Also, R.S.V.P.
[Origin: 1895–1900; < class="blsp-spelling-error" id="SPELLING_ERROR_18">épondez) s('il) v(ous) p(laǐt) please reply]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Her use of the term does not make sense. Actually, much of the e-mail fails to make sense.
5) Finally, what about ANYTHING I wrote suggests that I am a bad rider, as she assumes, or that I am not doing all I can to encourage my horse to "ride forward?" True, I mentioned that he is most responsive to rein aides, that doesn't mean that they are they only aides I use! I followed that with information on how I was trying to improve his responsiveness overall so that less force would have to be used no matter what the command or aid. To get him to be "forward" I must get him to be responsive. Otherwise, I am only forcing him into postures that he finds uncomfortable, causing him to tense and possibly injure himself.

I am not trying to say that I am a flawless rider. I make mistakes and I will always have something else to learn. However, I am an empathetic rider. I know the definition and can use it correctly. I know what my horse is capable of, where he needs improvement, and what he deserves. Some person who has never seen my horse move and has never seen me ride has no right to try and preach.

No comments: