Friday, April 20, 2007

Here's the Deal:

A couple of weeks ago I saw an ad on Craigslist placed by a woman who was looking for a horse she could exercise for free. It all seemed really too perfect: I needed someone to help me work my horse regularly and she wanted a horse to ride; neither of us had the extra cash to pay for a lease or an exerciser. It seemed perfect until she called and cancelled our first meeting. We re-scheduled for another day, but it turned out to be vaccination day for Horse, so I called and left her a message offering to 1) let her meet him anyway though it would not be possible to ride, or 2) try and find another day. I didn't hear back by the day we had agreed on so I went out to the farm anyway, in case she hadn't gotten my message. I sat in my truck in the rain for 45 minutes to make sure she wasn't coming and then nearly got stuck in the mud on my way out. I left her another message letting her know that if she was interested she could contact me.

I'm over it. I am looking for a real half-lease now.

You see, I have a 17 year old draft-cross gelding who has basically had the past 4 years off. Since I started college my time for riding has become scarce and he is very out of shape. If I don't begin to improve his fitness now it will only get more difficult to improve. I don't have as much time as I would like to work with him, so I need to find help.

Here is what I think will make this a challenge:
The barn I board with is primarily Western, my horse is trained English. Lessons may be difficult to come by if necessary for the possible lessee.
I will not let anyone use him for jumping. He has some leg damage from being over-jumped. Though it is now only cosmetic it was very painful as it formed.
No spurs! He can be a little challenging in the "forward" dept. Actually, he'd rather not move at all. Still, I manage to ride without spurs - anyone else can, too! It builds leg and character.
He is very out of shape. Right now our rides are 15 minutes of trot-work and then a brisk "trail ride" of about the same length to cool down. If really working hard we may canter once around the arena in each direction. We are doing this or some variation of it 3 times a week. Next week I am increasing that to 18 minutes.

Getting this worked out will be a challenge. Ideally some patient adult rider who wants to return to the sport will contact me. That person will have English riding experience, a good sense of what my horse is capable of, and will work with him appropriately.

Yeah Right! I'll never find the person I need.

No comments: